One of the most famous food markets in Moscow. Founded in 1963 on a market square that existed since the 13th century. The current building was opened in 1986. After reconstruction in the 2010s, the market was transformed into a shopping and entertainment complex with malls, shops, cafes, restaurants and venues for cultural events. Nowadays, 40 market bistros operate on the Danilovsky market, where citizens can have tasty, interesting and inexpensive food, as well as spend their leisure time visiting various events.
The market brand comes from the nearby St. Danilov Monastery, which was founded in 1282 by Prince Daniel, the youngest son of Alexander Nevsky. In the Middle Ages, trade was carried out near the monasteries. Historians suggest that the trading square on the site of the modern Danilovsky market has existed since the 13th-14th centuries. On May 18, 1963 Moscow Council officially established on the site of spontaneous trade the Danilovsky collective farm market.
In 2016, the management team initiated a large-scale reconstruction of the Danilovsky market while maintaining the architectural appearance, which was finished by the spring of 2017. The legendary building was renovated for the first time. Improvement has also affected the surrounding area: light fences appeared instead of a two-meter fence, paving stones instead of asphalt, pavilions, benches and trees instead of illegal stalls. Muscovites obtained another city square with convenient navigation around the market, a children's room, a hotel, a tasting area, a bookcrossing area, and a clothing recycling point. In addition, Danilovsky's team has significantly expanded the range of the market, creating flexible conditions for farmers and small private industries. The market got rid of the unpleasant signs of the 90s, taking as a model European “merkados” with beautiful and neat shopping arcades and cozy cafes.